Potter Street Academy Local Governing Body needs you!
Potter Street Academy is part of Passmores Co-operative Learning Community, a successful and dynamic multi-academy trust located in Harlow. We have an opportunity to recruit an additional Community governor to our Local Governing Body.
Governance is a challenging and demanding role, but also a very rewarding one. As a Community Governor serving the Local Governing Body, you would work in partnership with the Executive Headteacher, Headteacher, senior leadership team, and co-operatively with other local governors to raise standards and improve outcomes for all children in our primary school.
This is a voluntary position, but there are many reasons why our local governors find their role rewarding:
• Local governors contribute to raising standards of education in our schools, making a positive difference to the lives of young people now and in the future.
• It is a chance to serve the local community and meet like-minded people who share the same passion for school improvement.
• Many governors realise their own potential by learning new skills which are transferable and offer the prospect of greater personal career development.
Community governors offer a wealth of experience and bring a wider perspective to the Local Governing Body. Working alongside staff and other local governors, you would play a key role in improving the outcomes of the children we serve and ensuring that they are safe. The objectives of the Local Governing Body are:
• To monitor the educational performance of the school, supporting and challenging the school leadership team in the continuing drive for school improvement.
• Ensuring safeguarding practices are in place, policies are being followed and that these are effective.
To carry out their duties effectively, we ask that our governors attend five Local Governing Body evening meetings each year, monitor their assigned school priority area (which involves meeting with the designated member of staff once or twice a year), and update their skills and knowledge by taking part in occasional short online training courses. Currently, all meetings are being held online.
Skills and Personal attributes:
No previous experience as a school governor is necessary, but as a Local Governor:
• You must act with integrity, honesty, and objectivity in the best interests of the school.
• You must have the ability and willingness to learn and develop new skills, and undertake the training offered when appropriate.
• You need a strong commitment to the role of improving outcomes for children, the inquisitiveness to question and analyse, and the willingness to learn.
• You would need good inter-personal skills, appropriate levels of literacy in English and sufficient numeracy skills to understand basic data.
• You would need to understand and support the ethos of the school.
Passmores Co-operative Learning Community is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced disclosure through the Disclosure Barring Service.
If you are interested in applying for the role, please contact the Governance Manager, Mrs Deb Bartram by emailing email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Friday, 26th February 2021.