Potter Street Academy is committed to develop provision for young carers and their families.
We will capture the commitment by widening our provision, building on the needs of the young people and better meet young carers’ needs by reviewing our provision for young carers with a view to ultimately achieving best practice.
How we will achieve this:
- The whole school is committed to meeting the needs of young carers so that they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other pupils and achieve their potential.
- Appointing a designated Young Carers’ School Lead with responsibility for young carers and their families. Appointing a Young Carers’ Operational Lead with responsibility of the day-to-day management of the school’s provision for young carers. Pupils and families will be made aware of the identity of these leads and how to contact them to access support.
- The school only shares information with professionals and agencies on a need to know basis in order to support pupils and their families.
- Potter Street Academy will actively seek feedback and ideas from young carers and their families to shape and improve support.
- The school has an effective referral system and strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies, including referral to Young Carer agencies providing key workers who will work with young carers and families.
We will strive to achieve best practice for students and families in our school in order to provide them with the best chance of success in their future.
Young Carers’ School Lead – Mrs K Holland
Young Carers’ Operational Lead – Ms Hawkes
A young carer is someone under 18 who is caring unpaid for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. They often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult.
If you think your child might be a young carer or could be affected by any of the issues we’ve highlighted, please let us know by calling the school office and ask to speak to Mrs Holland or Ms Hawkes
Any information that is given to us will be treated sensitively and no information will be shared without your knowledge.